Removal of an ingested battery from the oesophagus is time-critical, hence prompt diagnosis is crucial to prevent development of serious complications. One should consider battery ingestion when the patient complains drooling, refusal from eating, cough, chest pain or discomfort. Endoscopic removal of an ingested battery is the preferred management option. New guidelines recommend oral intake of honey to reduce the depth of mucosal injury. Tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is one of the most severe complications of button battery esophageal impaction. Our case is an example of spontaneous closure of an acquired TEF. Conservative treatment with close monitoring for signs of infection and timely treatment provide an opportunity to avoid surgical complications in treatment of acquired TEF.